ss_blog_claim=f83f0efb56d77d1bfe68bd9ba3a5ab23
Your Ad Here

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Yada yada bla bla bla...

So I’ve decided to take a break from my never-ending travel tales. Be warned there’s still more to come, but not for the time being. As for now, do allow me to spill out whatever that’s on my mind. You might wanna skip this entry, but do join along if you don’t mind my rants and ramblings. :P

  • Did you know that the Kingdom of Kedah (aka Kadaram), my home state, was founded by Maharaja Derbar Raja of Persia (modern-day Iran) circa AD 630? According to both the Kedah Annals (Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa) and the Malay Annals (Sejarah Melayu), the king was alleged to be a descendant of Alexander the Great, which could be true since the Achaemenid Persian Empire was completely destroyed by Alexander and his men centuries earlier. This probably means that the bloodline of the current Kedah royalty is descended from the legendary Macedonian conqueror. The Persian-Hindu dynasty ended with the adoption of Islam by Phra Ong Mahawangsa (who took the name Sultan Mudzafar Shah upon conversion) in the 12th century which thereafter marked the beginning of Malaysia's oldest sultanate which lasted to this day. Never mind that you didn't know all these, for I, a Kedahan, just knew about them quite recently. :P
  • I realize there are a lot of loanwords of Portuguese origin in the Malay language (a legacy of the 130-year Portuguese rule of Malacca) after I enrolled in the Spanish classes, since Spanish and Portuguese do share some similarities in pronunciation and vocabulary. Examples of these Malay words are: bendera (flag; Portuguese: bandeira; Spanish: bandera), sekolah (school; Portuguese: escola; Spanish: escuela), gereja (church; Portuguese: igreja; Spanish: iglesia), meja (table; Portuguese: mesa; Spanish: mesa), keju (cheese; Portuguese: queijo; Spanish: queso), bola (ball; Portuguese: bola; Spanish: bola), kemeja (shirt; Portuguese: camisa; Spanish: camisa), and tema (theme; Portuguese: tema; Spanish: tema).
  • And I just found out that the name Isabel is Spanish (probably Portuguese too) for Elizabeth! So the Spanish name for Queen Elizabeth II is Isabel II, or Reina Isabel II del Reino Unido (Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom) in full. :D
  • Have you guys heard about the rumours that the legendary Malay warrior, Hang Tuah, was actually not a Malay, but a Chinese? The same thing was said about his warrior mates too. It was alleged that the Government had since removed tales about them from the school curriculum. Hmm...
  • And why are there still no signs of the 916 agenda?
U hu! hu! from The Loaf, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur
  • Had these wonderful U hu! hu! cup-sized cheesecakes from Tun Dr. Mahathir's The Loaf on my cuzzie's birthday. OMG... So yummy can die!
  • Watched The Other Boleyn Girl at GSC Queensbay Mall the other day to celebrate the end of my 2nd studio assignment. I first thought it was a new movie, but to find out it was shown in the West back in February and March. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, which in turn helped to rekindle my interest in the history of Tudor England (Henry VIII, Katharine of Aragon, Anne & Mary Boleyn, Mary I, Elizabeth I, the English Reformation, and etc). Feel like buying the novel written by Philippa Gregory which was adapted into the film though I have yet to read the dozens of novels I bought years ago. *sweat*
Crêpe Gâteau, Paddington House of Pancakes, Queensbay Mall
  • Had my Crêpe Gâteau at Paddington House of Pancakes before the movie. My my... The portion was so big! Luckily I had a big appetite, else I wouldn't be able to finish it. It was very cheesy, and my only gripes were the stingy amount of fresh tomato sauce and the unpleasant taste of the olives. And did I mention that the restaurant menu was so freakin' thick? I was literally lost while reading it... There were so many mouth-watering choices to choose from! Definitely worth a revisit, but it'll not be so soon especially after this splurge.
  • I didn't even know the exact date of this year's Mid-Autumn Festival 中秋节 until someone informed me days after the celebration. Call me a Chinese... *sigh*
  • I especially love the Ramadan season. It's not that I'm gonna fast with the Muslims, but it's due to the fact that my hostel's cafeteria and sundry shop are open till 2 in the morning everyday for 1 whole month! Now I no longer need to worry about my midnight hungers. :P
  • Somebody buy me the gorgeous Nikon D90 with movie mode, please! OMG... OMG... OMG!
  • And last but not least, WHEN WILL THOSE ASSIGNMENTS EVER STOP COMIN' MY WAY? They're too much... Just simply TOO MUCH! Grrr...

36 comments:

day-dreamer said...

Yum yum. Yeah, Hang Tuah no more in Sejarah text book. Welcome to Malaysia. :)

kyh said...

5 chups!

Sure ah? Then the rumours are facts then!

jemima said...

Kids these days are deprived. They don't get to read about Hang Tuah & his kick-arse friends.

kyh said...

3 chups!

Poor kids... :(

rainbow angeles said...

i love the other boleyn girl too!

paddington = expensive

all the best in yr assignments!! Hantu Balik Pagi mia course memang liddat wan ler... :p

kyh said...

1 chup!

The movie was nice, hor? ;)

Expensive is true, and that's why I won't dine there for the time being.

I feel more like Hantu Bila Pengsan... :(

carcar said...

cupcakes meh? looks like donut to me wor..

btw i saw this 'header' this morning while i was choosing for my blog new template...

end up i use ...


sigh..

haaa...

good day!~

kyh said...

Those really were cupcakes leh... Absolutely yummy, Itellu! :D

Simple is nice! Don't sigh... Don't sigh! ;)

L B said...

Gorgeous food! But I need another long long long vacation again.. *sigh* It was just too short.. *sigh*

kyh said...

OMG... 2 months are long enough for me, at least. I want holidays! :(

Zhu said...

We still have some mooncakes at home, I'll eat one thinking of you :D

The pastries look yummy. Did you know crêpes (very thin French pancakes if that's what you had) are from Brittany, where I'm from?

It's the favorite local food and we usually eat them with cider.

Selba said...

Oh.. and do you know that the person who spread "Islam" religion in South East Asia countries is not an arabic man, but instead it's The famous eunuch Chinese Admiral explorer Cheng Ho (Zheng He) from Ming Dynasty?

Doreen said...

Wonder where is your next travel destination? And, don't worry, you're not the only one forgot about mid-autumn festival. lol

zewt said...

yup... when i was in london earlier this year, they were already showing it there.

hang tuah a chinese... that's public news already mate...

kyh said...

Zhu: Haha... Thanks! :D

I didn't know that! Thanks for pointing out... ;)

Selba: Actually, Islam arrived in the region far earlier than Zheng He's era. The Indonesian province of Acheh already had Islamic influences from as early as the 11th century. ;)

Doreen: You have to wait for that entry to find it out! ;)

To be frank, I knew the festival was approaching, just that I didn't know the exact date for it. :P

zewt: I've heard about the rumour for quite some time now, just that I wasn't sure of the authenticity of the alleged fact.

khengsiong said...

Guess I must be very outdated. Never know much of the info given here.

But be careful, you can be charged for sedition.

My Castle in Spain said...

oh ..i guess i could learn Malay easily then !
:-)

psst ..how are your Spanish classes going ?

Everyday Healy said...

I have tried that cup cakes too. Good! Now, I wish I can try the Crepe in the Padington house of Pancake. It looks good... :P

kyh said...

khengsiong: What's there to fear? Because I stated the truth? What's more, this is already a known fact, isn't it?

My Castle in Spain: Malay is quite an easy language to learn compared to many languages out there. It's said to have approximately 400 words of Portuguese origin, in addition to those derived from Arabic, Sanskrit, Tamil, Chinese, and English.

My Spanish? So far so good! ;)

Everyday Healy: Hehe... But be forewarned that the portion can be quite big, I mean really big for 1 person!

EastCoastLife said...

The cheesecakes are so yummy! I'm hungry for them! Send by DHL!
Hello! *pinch pinch kyh's cheeks*

L B said...

Hang Tuah deleted?!! How can?!!

kyh said...

EastCoastLife: Snail mail, can? :P

L B: Neh... One of the many good things done by our dear Government.

Shantanu said...

Maharaja Derbar Raja sounds more Indian than Persian. :-)

kyh said...

Maybe his Hindu faith has got something to do with his Indianized name?

GMG said...

Hi Kyh! Here I am to enjoy your lovely blog on my weekly visit!
And this week we have again a wonderful post. Furthermore with so many portuguese words around!
Love cheesecake! And leave you with Rainha Isabel II do Reino Unido... ;)
Look forward to reading you at Blogtrotter, now back in Chania!
Have a great weekend!

kyh said...

Hey... Have a great weekend too! :D

claudie said...

Miam, miam! Gorgeous food! I like the ramadan season too because often the parents of my children who do it bring me some delicious sweeties specialities at the end.

kyh said...

Lotsa food for the festive season! :D

Winn said...

wah your sejarah thingy, i long time no one lecture me abt sejarah oredi lor..
i pity the next gen, the sejarah books are getting thicker and thicker..
and more lies will be written in (when the current political situation turns in2 history)

Chen said...

Yeah, I read about Mr Hang's (Hant Tuah loh & all the other Mr Hang) story too :)

Piak u for not knowing when is Mooncake festival :P

may said...

errr... I feel like I was in school again learning history - and that's the subject I dropped from my list! still cool to know, of course...

one assignment at a time, and you'll finish them soon ;-)

ehonchan.com said...

where art thou?

Shantanu said...

Goodness, where have you suddenly disappeared? Everything ok, I hope!

kyh said...

Winn: Haha... If you want, I can lecture you any time you wish! :P

So sad, huh? :(

Chen: *quickly run away and hide* :P

may: I dislike the one taught in school ~ so biased and all.

Everything is over now! :D

ehon: Here, here! ;)

Shantanu: It's been a mess weeks ago, but I did manage to come out in 1 piece! :D

C K said...

Hey kyh,
I've updated my blogroll and point it towards your new site. Cheers!

kyh said...

Thanks! :D