ss_blog_claim=f83f0efb56d77d1bfe68bd9ba3a5ab23
Your Ad Here

Sunday, July 20, 2008

¿Qué tal?

Sony Ericsson K800i




First and foremost, thank you guys for the birthday greetings on my blog, Friendster, Facebook, and also through SMS and Windows Live Messenger. They were very much appreciated! :)

I've been very busy with my chores since the commencement of the new semester at my university. Being in my 2nd year now, we've got a whole new batch of fresh faces joining our school. The new academic year has seen my faculty taking a rather surprising move that was totally different from the past: we've finally got an even representation of Malay and non-Malay students for the juniors! For my batch, the ratio of Malay to Chinese and minority students is 3:1. The new batch has got slightly more non-Malays with the Chinese students forming a slight majority in popular disciplines like Architecture and Quantity Surveying.

Needless to say, I, as a Malaysian Chinese, is of course thrilled to see this. You see... It's not entirely about numbers. What concerns me most is the future of this country's young generations. At least the school has now started to make an effort in recruiting more talented and potential young Malaysians (be it Malay or non-Malay) rather than striving to keep the Malays in the majority by allocating seats for those who don't even show signs of appreciation for it.


Spanish alphabet
Spanish alphabet

I did say I was gonna take French lessons before right? Alas, with a twist of fate, I ended up taking Spanish instead due to schedule clash. But hey, I absolutely love this language! In fact, I did plan to learn it alongside French. The variant I'm being taught is Castilian Spanish, the standard form of the language as promulgated by the Real Academia Española (Royal Spanish Academy), which in turn is slightly different from its Latin American counterparts in terms of grammar and pronunciation. Hopefully I'll be able to sing those flaming hot Latin songs and understand their lyrics in no time!

By the way, do you know that Spanish is currently the world's 2nd most-spoken language by native speakers (after Mandarin Chinese but ahead of English)? It's also an official language in 20 countries around the world and is the most popular foreign language in the United States. And in case you're wondering, the title for this entry reads How are you? in Spanish. ;)

Monday is my busiest day of the week. I've got lessons running from 9AM all the way to 7PM, without any break in between! *rolls eyes* I do hope that I won't collapse by the end of the day! Haha...

¤ ¤ ¤

Buddha at Borobudur, Java, Indonesia

My dear cuzzie-cum-friend gave me this lovely postcard from her all-expense paid study trip to the Indonesian island of Java in May. I absolutely love postcards! Now you know what to give me on your next trip to a faraway land. *winks*

36 comments:

day-dreamer said...

All the best for the new sem!

9am - 7pm? I'd die, man! =/

kyh said...

5 chups!

I'm dying... slowly... Haha! :P

zewt said...

that is too much studying man!! tooooo much!

Chen said...

all the best ya
hope u have enough sleep though..

and btw, u wanna postcard fr Penang? :P

kyh said...

zewt: 3 chups!

Actually it includes 2 studio sessions, a language lesson, as well as a swimming lesson. :P

Chen: 1 chup!

Can I have one from Europe instead? :P

rainbow angeles said...

no story abt yr bday party geh?

9-7pm, no die, no die... u can do it!!

kyh said...

No party lah... :(

Hopefully loh... :(

khengsiong said...

Beunos diaz...

Spanish is also the 2nd most widely spoken language in the U.S. I picked up a few phrases but have forgotten most of them.

BTW, I bought a Shakira's album before most Malaysians got to know her...

Zhu said...

Well, hablo espanol tambien, so I'll be on your back anyway :D

The ratio thing is weird... I know Malaysia has many ethnicities but how come the ratio was so "biased"?

Andie Summerkiss said...

Hey buzz me your mailing address. Will send you one from here. :D

Have a great semester, Kyh.

kyh said...

khengsiong: Hola!

The U.S. has a lot of Hispanic immigrants, so you'll somehow be exposed to their wonderful language no matter where you are, especially in the southern states.

I did know Shakira as the fiery, red-haired Latina before she decided to go blonde for her début English album, Laundry Service.

Zhu: Oh yes, you know Spanish too! That's great! :D

The ratio thing is the result of the controversial affirmative action taken by the Government to ensure that the natives are given opportunities in every field in the country. It's a constitutional right for the natives to enjoy and benefit from it. If I'm not mistaken, it's considered a crime for us to publicly debating on the issue.

After all, we all live in an unfair world. Don't we? ;)

Andie Summerkiss: Really? That's so kind of you! Thank you, thank you! :D

Doreen said...

How do you pronounce the title aka "how are you"? Can teach? Those word, they don't know me and I don't know them. No idea where to start man.

Shantanu said...

Hi kyh, Wish you a belated Happy Birthday!

Looks like Malays vs. non-Malays is a big issue in your country. I guess affirmative action is a issue in many countries, including the US and India that is hotly debated. But diversity has its advantages and I hope eventually we all get the same treatment in life (and in our countries!) irrespective of who we descended from.

eastcoastlife said...

You learn Spanish!? Whoa. Sexy language. I like. :)

kyh said...

Doreen: It's pronounced as kay tile. ;)

Actually, Spanish words ain't hard to pronounce. I bet French and German are a lot harder.

Shantanu: Thanks! :)

I do wish for that day to come! It's time for the ruling Government to recognize us (Chinese and Indians) as being equal to the natives, especially Malays.

eastcoastlife: Would you do a flamenco dance while I serenade in Spanish? :P

khengsiong said...

kyh,
How do you type ñ?

kyh said...

Normally, I'd search for a word that contains the letter on Google and then copy-paste it. :P

Alternatively, I can opt to install the Spanish keyboard as an input language in my Windows, which I've yet to do so.

giddy tigress said...

I think I can count in Spanish...uno dos ques quatro cinqo sez. but donno if the spelling correct or not.

Have fun with the classes!

mistipurple said...

happy belated birthday, kyh!
sorry i missed it.
you're going to get a spanish girlfriend next time. :P

kyh said...

giddy tigress: Do let me count for you: uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez. But you were quite there! ;)

mistipurple: Thanks! :D

You know what... Spanish chicks are hawt! :P

claudie said...

I always enjoy reading your posts and you give me the idea to learn more about your country, the daily life, studies...I am actually in a special spirit because my daughter Anaïs, 20 years old, will fly to Finland in a few days for 10 months, as an au pair, in a nice family. My furtur trip will Finland, for sure!
21 years old! Happy birthday, Kyh!

kyh said...

Thanks for your compliments! Finland sounds like a great place for travel, albeit it can turn freezing cold in winter.

Oh, merci beaucoup! ;)

Chen said...

u can have one from angkor wat or china, but with malaysia postage :P

mistipurple said...

quickly learn all the pick up lines! lol!

kyh said...

Chen: Also can! :P

mistipurple: *quickly makes mental notes*

C K said...

Actually, I would think that Spanish is more useful than French. French is mostly spoken by the French, Swiss and Belgians, other than that, not many people actually use it (due to its complexity I'm sure).

Spanish, on the other hand, is spoken quite widely in the States. I'm sure you'll find it useful later on if you decided to relocate.

Anyhow, all the best to your second sem!

kyh said...

That's why I'm gonna learn both! :D

Spanish tends to be spoken by those in the Americas. In other parts of the world, Spanish has little or no significance. On the other hand, French is widely used in international organizations, and has always been the most favourable language of diplomacy after English. In fact, nearly a quarter of Britons have at least a conversational level of French!

Thanks! ;)

GMG said...

Hi Kyh!
Sorry for the absence these last weeks, but unfortunately it wasn’t due to some summer holidays… ;))
Thanks for your comments on Blogtrotter, now at the MoMA for Art and New York lovers!
Parece que todos están hablando español aquí, pero seria más interesante si estuvieses estudiando portugués... ;))

kyh said...

Nevermind... As I was busy as well!

Oops... I can't figure out what you were trying to say! I'm still at the beginner's level, you know... ;)

eastcoastlife said...

My Samsui woman look very real hor. haha....

My Castle in Spain said...

A belated VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Kyh !!!

(so seriously...no gambling ? just kidding :-)

and all my best wishes for your Spanish classes!

no, i still haven't been to the north of Spain - i mean Asturias and would love to go- I just know Santander, San Sebastian and Bilbao
which is a great city mainly because of the Guggenheim museum.

Have a great day !
Lala

kyh said...

eastcoastlife: Yeah... So Samsui! :P

My Castle in Spain: Thanks... And yeah, no gambling! ;)

You should walk the famed pilgrimage trail which ends in Santiago de Compostela! The medieval city looks like a marvellous place in books and on TV! :D

Shantanu said...

Hey! Your blog's missing you. Get back here... :)

kyh said...

I've been very busy with my studio assignment lately, so sorry! :(

Las montañas said...

¿como te llamas?

kyh said...

Me llamo kyh. Encantado! ;)