ss_blog_claim=f83f0efb56d77d1bfe68bd9ba3a5ab23
Your Ad Here

Thursday, May 08, 2008

A walk down Penang Heritage Trail






I've always loved Penang. My passion for this bustling island-state burns even more vigorously after having taken a stroll down the world-renowned heritage trail of its capital, George Town. A city steeped in history, 3 friends and I arrived in George Town on yesterday morning to begin our journey into the island's past.

Although we didn't get to visit all the cultural sites, I still managed to snap over 300 pictures till I ran out of battery on my camera phone. And it was my 1st time walking down the streets and alleyways of George Town on foot!

There's something magical about this city. Everytime you turn around, something unexpected is ready to greet you. Sleepy back lanes and vibrant marketplaces make a magnificent contrast. And most remarkably, an abundance of ethnic enclaves and colonial monuments dot the city which thereafter help to shape and define George Town's one-of-its-kind cityscape.


We had our lunch at this vegetarian restaurant on China Street

My bowl of Thai tom yum noodles

I won't be telling much about the trip until my next blog entry. Please bear in mind that my travel tales will be splitted into several parts for easy viewing.




Stay tuned! ;)

14 comments:

rainbow angeles said...

chippy chuppy chup!

rainbow angeles said...

u balik kampung liao ah? every week also balik?? rajin neh...

Jemima said...

I love the last pic.
Very nostalgic! ;)

day-dreamer said...

Your tom yam noodles looked a bit like the longkang laksa, except that it used maggi noodles. Haha. :P

claudie said...

Beautiful trip! So exotic for me! And I love the old photos! Sure I will stay tuned!

Yinsi Yat said...

Next time I go Penang you be my tour guide ya. kekeke

kyh said...

rainbow angeles: 5 chups!

Notchet. We took a bus ride to George Town from USM. ;)

Jemima: 3 chups!

Hehe... Thanks! The sepia effect did a great job huh? :D

day-dreamer: 1 chup!

Really? And yeah... Maggi mee! :P

claudie: Actually that was not an old photo. I gave it a nostalgic touch by using the sepia effect. ;)

Yinsi Yat: Aren't you scared of getting lost then? LOL!

giddy tigress said...

I don't think I have seen that shop before..then again I have never gone back lane strolling...waiting for more!

C K said...

The sepia photos looks absolutely fantastic! Looks like my grandma's village in Melaka... hmm..

Looking forward to your future travel posts. Cheers!

kyh said...

giddy tigress: It's at China Street, just a stone's throw away from the Kuan Yin Temple and Little India.

C K: Well, I guess all former Straits Settlements have some connection between them. That's why they look alike!

oceanskies79 said...

I've visited Penang close to four years ago. Georgetown is a friendly and lovely place to walk on foot.

kyh said...

Oh yes... Everything is so packed in one place! It's definitely a wonderful place to explore on foot. ;)

eastcoastlife said...

I didn't get to see Penang the last time I was there. I hope to learn more about it from you and residents of Penang and go back to revisit it again. hehe....

kyh said...

Oh yeah... Your injured leg! Ouch! And what a pity you couldn't explore this island on foot! Definitely a tourist's nightmare!

I'll try my best to present the very best of Penang to you (I talk like as if I were a native Penangite :P)!