ss_blog_claim=f83f0efb56d77d1bfe68bd9ba3a5ab23
Your Ad Here

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Gone rural






After submitting our projects on Monday morning, we boarded buses (3 of 'em in total) provided by the school and headed off to Kampung Sungai Batu Besi in Merbok, Kedah for our final studio assignment of this semester. The kampung (Malay village) was quite remote to my surprise, as all the bus drivers had failed to locate it. It took them several wrong turns before we finally arrived at our destination.




The narrow lane leading to the village was in a very pathetic condition. The bus literally jolted as it sluggishly rolled through the bumpy road. To one point, we felt like as if we were on a roller coaster ride. No kidding!


Some sort of village community centre

I think this was my 1st time ever visiting a wholly Malay kampung. Quite an interesting experience as I'd never thought of visiting a place like this before. It was exactly like those kampungs you normally see on TVs and newspapers - rustic, rural and tranquil. The village was also bordered by the Merbok River which nourished the region and provided the villagers with an important source of income.


A village man eking out a living

It was truly an eye-opener to learn how the villagers live their lives out of their measly monthly incomes. The majority of them was poor, undereducated and had lotsa children. 6 to 8 kids in one family were a norm rather than a surprise.




There was this breathtaking mangrove swamp where occasional ecological studies were carried out by our university graduates. See the pics above? You certainly can't go wrong with their unique root systems!




Ain't that just beautiful? ;)

¤ ¤ ¤

Today's the final day of the 15-day long Lunar New Year celebration. And that also means my blog header will reverse to the old one by tomorrow.




How many angpows have you guys collected thus far? :D I'm quite satisfied with my achievement, though the more the better! :P Keep 'em rollin' in next year!

So who's gonna toss lokams into the sea tonight? angie? may? rinnah? Or DD? :P


HAPPY CHAP GOH MEH

元宵节快乐



Addendum @ 3:24AM: The village name was written incorrectly and has been corrected.

32 comments:

_butt said...

my first chups here wahahaa

why I kenot toss lokam also meh? :P

chinese new year over... saddd... no more holidays :(

Happy Chap Goh Meh!

giddy tigress said...

The mangrove swamp looks just like what I saw in my old geography books! You gonna catch any "kums" tonight?

L B said...

Hey, catch a couple of kums for me too, ok? But only if you got a lot. Otherwise I'll just tumpang someone else...

Happy Chap Goh Mei!

angeles said...

Throw into my mulut laa...

Happy Chinese Valentine's Day!

kennymah said...

Haiyo, when you get to my age, not many angpows left to collect leh... "You 29 di, why notchet kahwin har?"

LOL

Anyway, Happy Chap Goh Mei! :D

ehon said...

nice pictures! :) u get a lot of those kampungs there right? i used to stay in one of those kampungs for an entire week in terengganu for an exchange program. :) good fun!! :D

kyh said...

_butt: 5 chups!

Congrats! :D

You can, just that there were too many names if I were to list them out one by one. ;)

So sad... Absolutely no happies! :(

giddy tigress: 3 chups!

Actually, I don't need this method one. :P

L B: 1 chup!

I'll get others to catch for you, can? :P

angeles: Your mouth got that big or not? Later you get choked, how? Think about our kids! ;)

kennymah: Then I must collect as many as I can while I'm still young and robust! ;)

ehon: I think there are a lot of kampungs here. Malaysia ain't that urbanized after all!

day-dreamer said...

Eh, I thought you're architecture student, go Malay kampung to study ecology?!?!

LOL! PJ tarak sungai atau laut untuk dicemari dengan kam. Also, I'd rather save those oranges for my stomach. :P

元宵节快乐!

kyh said...

No lah... We went there to study the village environment and culture, so that we will know how to design a new building there without destroying the existing local heritage.

Cheh! Liddat how to get a boyfriend? :P

Chev said...

i stayed in those malay kampung house for few days in the post during my community health posting. My foster family's bathroom has hole on the wall and the toilet has no door. Really kampung..

*faint*

kyh said...

Liddat how did you guys bathe, pee and poo? o.O

may said...

love the kampung photos. the closest I got to something similar was when I went to Kinabatangan for a nature camp. your photos remind me of that adventure.

kyh said...

Yours sounded kinda interesting! But I'm sure Sydney is much more enjoyable ya? ;)

mistipurple said...

i bet they're happy than alot of us in developed grounds.

kyh said...

Carefree lifestyles!

Wanna go for a trip to Maldives or Tibet? ;)

claudie said...

I really enjoy to watch your blog! It is so interesting to admire your land and culture! The vegetation is wonderfull! It looks like a paradize. It is always better when the architecture respect the environment and the culture. I'm total ok about this!

kyh said...

Thank you for your nice compliment! :D

Yup... We shouldn't destroy the local environment and culture for the sake of development.

mistipurple said...

post your sketches of anything here leh. i like your drawings. :)

kyh said...

Currently no drawings to post up. Too lazy liao... :P

Chev said...

I use the toilet inside the exhibition hall (which is not very far away from the kampung house i stayed in). Dun drink so much water at night time loh (so dun have to visit the loo in the middle of the night)

When bathing time.. really mandi kerbau loh.. Bath fast-fast :P

kyh said...

Liddat ma cannot sembang and chit-chat with friends at night liao? Must be very boring then...

KKK @ mandi kerbau... :P

zewt said...

malaysia does have beautiful kampongs isnt it...

6-8 kids... they should seriously slow down...

kyh said...

I especially love those villages with vast green paddy fields and rolling mountains in the background.

A nationwide birth control programme should be introduced, but heck, the Government aims for a population of 70 million!

RennyBA said...

You know I love it rustic, rural and tranquil and we have a lot of it in Norway, but quite different from Norway - great to see the differences - thanks for sharing!

Now I know how you feel chilled looking looking at my post from Svalbard, Norway :-)

Wishing you a lovely weekend!

kyh said...

They're both different, but the beauty is the same! Hopefully Mother Nature can withstand the fierce onslaughts of man-made threats within the next 50 years.

SilverIsle said...

Final studio assignment? What are you guys supposed to do there actually?

kyh said...

First we did some site analysis there, but we haven't been told what we're supposed to do yet. Maybe design some chalets or things like that at our proposed site.

eastcoastlife said...

The kampung is so rustic! This is in Penang? I want to visit such a kampung!!! So cool!

kyh said...

You don't have these kampungs in urbanized Singapore, eh?

It's in Merbok, Kedah. It's within an hour's drive from Penang. ;)

iCalvyn said...

the village are nice, good place for photography

JesieBlogJourney said...

Does the sungai in Kedah has crocodile? I crossed one on a boat ride that had crocodile near a Siamese temple and Bakar Bata area.

kyh said...

iCalvyn: Definitely!

JesieBlogJourney: I'm not that sure. Maybe yes.